How to Become a Member
(for all membership types)
The first step to joining the BCYBA is to determine your membership type. If you intend on applying for an individual membership you must first be employed with a company that has a corporate membership with the BCYBA. Furthermore, please be sure that you meet all the remaining requirements for the membership type you wish to apply for as the application fee is non-refundable. Once you have done so, you can proceed with the following steps.
CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS
Once our administration office receives your application, it will then be sent to the BCYBA Board of Directors for review. If the corporation under consideration is determined to be eligible, you will be contacted by BCYBA's administration with further instruction.
[Download the Corporate Membership Application]
INDIVIDUAL & PENDING MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS
Once our administration office receives your application, it will then be sent to the BCYBA Board of Directors for preliminary review. If you are considered to be eligible, you will be sent study material for the BCYBA entry level exam called the Broker 101 Exam.
- The Broker 101 Exam: The exam covers basic sales knowledge and transactional issues, the BCYBA Constitution and Code of Ethics and general boating regulations (including transfer/registration of ownership). You will have one hour to complete this exam consisting of multiple choice questions. All membership applicants must achieve a pass mark of 70% or higher to be eligible to become a BCYBA member. Please note that you must successfully complete the Broker 101 Exam within three months of the submission of your application.
Exam pre-requisites include: VHF Licence and the
Pleasure Craft Operator Competency Card.
Upon the successful completion of the Broker 101 Exam, your application will be re-submitted to the BCYBA Board of Directors for final approval.
Upon approval, you will receive a package that includes:
- Access to the BCYBA Members Only section on www.bcyba.com;
- Digital copies of all common documents from BCYBA;
- Digital versions of the BCYBA logo for use on your documents and advertising;
- Window decal to be displayed in a visible area at your place of business;
- Additional material and benefits as applicable from time to time.
Certified Professional Yacht Broker Designation
Eligible BCYBA members are encouraged to obtain the CPYB designation to strengthen their dedication to their chosen profession, and to promote professionalism between brokers and with the boating public. To learn more about the program and to apply, please visit the CPYB website, www.cpyb.net.
[Download the Individual Membership Application]